This is an Apprenticeship Vacancy. The successful candidate will be employed by the company outlined below and receive on-the-job training from them. Alongside this, they will undertake an Apprenticeship Programme with ACT Training and receive support and guidance from an experienced Assessor, to help them achieve the relevant qualifications. Please refer to the Course Outline at the bottom of this page for an overview of the Apprenticeship Programme.
Company Name: Vale of Glamorgan Council
Location: Wenvoe, Vale of Glamorgan
Job Title: Housing and Rents Apprentice
Apprenticeship Programme: Business Administration Level 3
Hours of Work: 37 hours per week
Days and Times of Work: To be confirmed
Salary: National Minimum Wage (dependent on age)
Purpose of Post:
- To provide efficient and effective administration support to the Neighbourhood Management and Rents teams;
- To build up a knowledge and skills regarding a wide range of housing services;
- To work with colleagues and partners to achieve positive outcomes for communities and individuals.
- To field queries from customers and work with colleagues to resolve tenancy issues;
- To carry out administration tasks on behalf of colleagues in the Housing Management and Rents teams, including record keeping and updating information held in ICT systems;
- To adopt a positive ‘can do’ approach to resolve customer enquiries and provide support and assistance to colleagues;
- To monitor rent accounts and contact tenants with low level arrears to discuss repayments;
- To monitor former tenant debt and contact debtors to arrange repayments;
- To proactively contact tenants and encourage them to set up Direct Deductions as a preferred payment method for rents;
- Undertake targeted action to secure access to tenanted homes in order to carry out inspections, gas servicing etc;
- To carry out new tenancy visits and identify any concerns or outstanding issues;
- To carry out inspections of communal areas and highlight any concerns;
- Ensure compliance with the Council’s Financial Regulations, Standing Orders, Policies and Procedures;
- To implement the principles of the Council’s Equal Opportunity Policy whilst carrying out the above duties;
- To adhere to Health and Safety legislation / relevant Council policies and procedures and to take reasonable care for the health and safety of yourself and other persons who may be adversely affected by your acts / omissions;
- To implement the principles of the Council's Environment Policy while carrying out the above duties;
- To report without delay any safeguarding concerns to the appropriate safeguarding officer;
- Such other duties and responsibilities commensurate with the grade and in accordance with the general character of the job as may reasonably be required by the Chief Officer from time to time.
5 GCSE’s Grade A - C or equivalent to include English and Maths;
Ability to drive/travel throughout the Vale or between locations as appropriate;
An ability to communicate clearly and effectively with a range of people;
Good written communication skills;
A good team player;
Able to work alone and use initiative;
Good record keeping;
Ability to use ICT systems including Microsoft Office;
Self-motivated and organised;
Punctual and reliable.
- Experience of working with people in a customer focused environment;
- A general knowledge of the role and responsibilities of a social landlord.
To be considered for this position, please click on the link below and apply via the following website: -
Closing Date for Applications: Tuesday 14th April 2020
Please note that applications received after the closing date may still be considered, subject to the vacancy being filled.
Interview Date: To be confirmed
You will be contacted by telephone and email throughout the recruitment process; therefore, please ensure the contact details you provide are accurate and that you check your messages regularly.